Gas Boiler Service Guide
Nothing is worse than finding yourself without heating in middle of winter, just when you require your boiler the most. A hot water boiler is a device used to heat water for a hydronic house heating system. The heated water flows throughout the house in pipes. This radiates warmth throughout the rooms using steel radiators, cast iron radiators or baseboard convectors (newer homes).
After the steel radiator or the convector has been heated by the hot water, the water returns to the boiler, and is then re-heated. This water circulation system continues again. Additionally, boilers are also used in houses with under floor heating systems where warm water flows through a durable, flexible, tubing which is embedded under the floor.
Boiler maintenance is critical to trouble-free, safe and efficient operation of a gas boiler. Luckily, gas boilers are mostly low maintenance, needing a little less than the recommended safety check and annual service. An annual boiler service and safety check done by a professional service engineer guarantees that your boiler is operating optimally.
Regular servicing of a gas boiler is vital as it ensures that it is working to the manufacturer’s specifications. A gas boiler service in Belfast with ATS Gas will ensure the optimum combustion condition. This helps to extend the life of the gas boiler and also minimizes the likelihood of faults which may lead to costly repairs later.
The efficiency of gas fired boilers declines with use. There are a number of reasons for this, the main one being that soot produced during the combustion process covers the heat exchanger surfaces. The air-to-fuel combustion ratio changes owing to progressive component wear. When the safety controls are checked, premature failures are easily prevented before they occur.
Most manufacturers recommend annual inspection of the gas boiler for safety purposes and especially for older gas boilers.The annual inspection is also more important for open flue boilers ( chimney-style) than balanced flue ( through the wall) boilers. It is recommended that open-flued boilers should be serviced yearly. This is due to the fact that they can cause carbon monoxide deaths should the flue ( ventilation) become faulty. Timely, constant servicing helps detect flueing problems early.
For balanced flue appliances manufacturers still advice yearly servicing but many gas professionals consider bi-annually to be adequate. This is mainly because flue problems are less frequent and mostly less serious. Also because they use fresh air from outside, the burner airways do not accumulate debris from carpet fibers, pet hairs. There are also unmistakable signs of a gas boiler in need of urgent service. This includes burning with a yellow/orange (not blue flame). Other signs include fluctuating boiler pressure or too high pressure, ticking or clanking noises at startup and higher-than-usual gas consumption.
Checklist of a typical gas boiler service:
1. One should ensure that the engineer undertaking the gas boiler maintenance is competent and properly registered.
2. The gas boiler service starts with the engineer doing a visual check. The gas boiler’s position should adhere to all the requisite regulations.
3. After the visual check comes the pre-service check. The gas boiler maintenance engineer switches the boiler on to detect any faults or signs of system failure.
4. Next, the gas boiler maintenance engineer checks inside the boiler. They remove the casings and examine the vital components – the heat exchanger, the burner, the fan and seals, amongst others – to ensure they are undamaged and clean. After this, the engineer carries out an extensive cleaning of the internal surfaces, check the electrics and the piping, and ascertain that the flue terminal is unobstructed.
5. Afterwards it is checked that the gas boiler is combusting properly. This is done using a flue gas analyser.
A “gas tightness” test is also conducted out, to ensure that there is no gas leakage from anywhere in the boiler. This is incredibly crucial since gas leaks can be very fatal.
6. Then the gas boiler maintenance engineer replaces the casing of the boiler and exits, leaving the area as they found it.
7. In case any faults have been discovered or any repairs are needed, the boiler maintenance engineer should advice you accordingly – together with the attendant costs. In most cases, the gas boiler service process takes about one hour, depending on the kind of work and the boiler condition.